BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cancer Sucks.

Have you ever seen the cancer sucks t-shirts the Cancer society has made? They are a purple color and they even come in one-sies for the kids :) I saw one today on a little girl and it made me think of a friend of mine. He will go without naming, but I can't seem to get him out of my mind. Not only him, but his kids and wife.

Once upon a time I knew them all very well and even thought that one day I would call them family. Well, life changes and today I can say that even though we don't talk anymore I care deeply for all of them. Lung Cancer. That's the Cancer here, and it is attacking his system quickly. With the diagnosis of a year and half to two years, it has to be pretty progressed. He is older, and has smoked since he was young. As long as I knew him, you could find him in his recliner with a woven blue and white blanket, the newspaper open in front of him and a cigarette in hand. He was there the day my kids were born and has loved both of them without haste.

Learning of the diagnosis I immediately thought of my own dad, Todd. Thankfully my dad didn't die of Cancer, but he fought a battle with ALS for 4 years and in 2000 he passed away. I was 13 or 14 when he died and I will never forget the long journey God took our entire family through during those very tough 4 years. The thing about lung Cancer and ALS is that both are very visually devastating diseases. They aren't silent killers, the diagnosed person requires round the clock care when nearing the end and in the end both diseases take an emotional tole on anyone involved in the dieing process. I cannot imagine going through those 4 years without the protection, courage and love that my God provides.

My prayers for this family have moved from emotional stability to down right salvation. Without God guiding them through this, they will have the worst time caring for their dad and remembering to take care of themselves. There is no greater love to be found in this life than that of the Jesus Christ. I am walking proof that He is SLOW TO ANGER, ABOUNDING IN LOVE. Psalm 119:67 says, "Before I was afflicted, I went astray. But now I will obey your word."Psalm 119:67 was my dads life verse. Websters dictionary defines the word afflicted as, "to distress with mental or bodily pain; Obsolete; to overthrow, to defeat." So, you could re-read the verse like this, " Before I was in distress, I went astray. But now I will obey your word." It is the account of every Christian out there. Whether we recognize the distress or not, we have all gone astray. At some point we have been afflicted by mental or bodily distress, and it is God who can and does save us from the defeat. This man that I care for is in a time of most hurried distress and I cannot think of a better outcome than for him to find protection and healing in Jesus Christ. Will you join with me in praying for them? He has three children, three grandchildren and a wonderful wife.

I just can't begin to tell you how sad I am about this. I am no longer in direct contact with them, but my family and I will continue to pray for them. Watching and helping someone die is so very difficult, it takes a very special person to be able to face death with hope. This man and his family need to find hope in Christ during this next year or two.

Kind of a long blog, but I had to get it out. Thanks for listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment